12-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #20
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
...One of the things I didn't address there was the difference between the front and rear discs used in the Brembo setup.

The front is a 380x34mm high heat capacity disc. It's a directional, curved 48 vein, design with a wide airgap for maximum airflow and heat dissipation. The rear is also a 380mm disc (15"), but a lightweight version that is only 28mm thick. Again, this is a directional curved 48 vein design with a wide airgap.

Brembo has more usable combination's of discs (by diameter, thickness, annulus and airgaps) and calipers (each with a variety of piston diameters) than any other manufacturer in existence. We had the option for various rear systems (345mm, 355mm, 380mm) and the final decision was based on the pedal feel and modulation with that particular combination of disc diameter (effective radius) and piston volume.

The weight savings and incredible stiffness of the monobloc design definitely outweighs the need to remove the caliper.
The monobloc design IS simply that good.
Gary:

Thanks for the info on this. I'm also glad you found your way here to the forum to help provide some facts.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0