04-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I think that you find that in most States that a trailer over 2000 lbs require brakes and here in Ontario it is manditory over 3000 lbs.The simplest brake system is surge brakes which do not require any hookup from the tow vehicle,but are useless in slippery road conditions as they require the tow vehicle start decelerating before activating.But a proper setup under reasonable traction conditions will out perform electric brakes most of the time.I have had surge brakes with 4 wheel dics on an aluminum open car trailer that worked great in summer condtions but I discoved how useless that setup was in snow quite quickly!Electric brakes do not stop nearly as quick on bare pavement and are subject to fade & adjustment issues but do work much better in slippery conditions as you can control the brake bias by the controller.

I think that if you are looking at an X5 you must make sure that you have a proper weight distributing hitch and the proper trailer brake setup in order to make the towing hassle free.Used 1/2 pickups are also dirt cheap right now and would probally be a better choice IMO.
Thanks. Agreed on the pickup truck point, but I am hoping to get some winter utility out of the tow vehicle in the snow as DD. I'll look into the brake setup the trailer I am eying has.