03-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #35
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I'm fairly ignorant of the technicals, but it seems to me to try to compare changes they might have made to this car compared to our cars is kind of pointless. It's not like they started with a showroom car and then made changes to it. Take the shell off and it's a race car built from the ground up. Just out of curiosity, I would like to see a list of parts (if any) that are on this car that are common with a stock M3. My (ignorant) guess is; the engine block? and nothing else. Even if the engine block is common, is it bored? In any case, I'll be watching and rooting for them, just like all the NASCAR Bubba's arguing the merits of Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge as if those cars have anything to do with whatever pickup truck they're driving.
Well, the GT2 class is a modified production car class. It is true that the engine is developed for racing, but they do need to start out with the production engine. The general location of the engine cannot be changed, but it can be moved down or back as long as it doesn't result in chassis or cockpit modifications. Cylinder block, heads, valve angles, and the number and location of cams must not change, but heads can be machined, etc. Basically, the basic engine geometry is maintained. Also, bodywork modifications are limited, meaning the car preserves its external geometry. Intakes cannot stick out of the bodywork unless the original car has that geometry. Snorkel type intakes are not allowed. I believe those constraints say a lot about how one can possibly get air into the engine, and what the optimal paths might be, especially when positioning the front facing intakes. You are probably right that the issue of the 3rd intake on the hood is not all that meaningful in this case though. Also, the regulations limit the airbox volume to 50 liters. I wonder how large the ALMS and the stock M3 airboxes are.