11-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Learn to do your own maintenance and it's cheaper than Honda's, learn the brands that BMW outsources to and puts their stamp on, and buy straight from them. List goes on and on, if you need a beater that's reliable buy a Honda. If you want a car for the weekend and mechanically inclined, German isn't as scary as what most people think. They just are too ignorant to find an indy shop and let the dealer butt rape them.
In theory, fair points.

But the exact same thing can be said for the Hondas. The bottom line is that due to sheer volume, it will always be cheaper to work on the higher volume, less expensive vehicles due to the availability.

The indy shops have also made a good living for themselves by pricing themselves lower than the dealerships, but are still more expensive than "basic" mechanics that work on most domestic and jdm vehicles.

The vast majority of luxury car owners don't turn their own wrenches. Never have, never will. I worked in a shop in high school and know most of the basics, but don't have the time, tools, or inclination to service my own vehicles, hence why I'm not going to bitch and moan about the costs.
Appreciate 0