Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
My theory is that official US production has not started/ramped up yet, and the cars that have been built so far are mainly dealer demo cars. This makes sense since, officially, US launch is in March. Some say the 8th others says the 28th. I am inclined to think it is the 28th because of the several members on this forum with Week 9 and 10 builds. Why produce cars way before the official launch only to hold onto them at ports? Week 9&10 builds should arrive just in time at the end of the month. Also, several sales people, including mine, will be attending a BMW organized driving event mid-March and get to experience the M3. Again, this suggests late March launch to me.

Anyway, that would explain why your dealer only has 2 allocations. If you think about every dealer getting 2-4 cars a month, it fits. They will probably get more allocation for weeks 12-14+ soon.

If you recently placed your deposit, which is my recollection, and have 6+ people ahead of you, you can't really expect delivery soon unless you get your deposit back and find another dealer with no customers. OCKid and Epacy did exactly that, and they are sitting on 112 orders, I think...

Just my $0.02 worth.
The only person to ever say the 28th is Davo2003, and he heard that from his military rep (keeping in mind military and civilian sales are separate divisions). The 8th of March has come through me calling BMWNA several times and speaking to different representatives who all said March 8, emails sent to various members on the forum from BMWNA saying March 8, and the head of distribution at South Bay BMW telling me March 8. Also, more proof that launch is well before the 28th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2 View Post
MARCH 12---5 weeks to go!!

BMW Performance Center Delivery
The Ultimate Delivery Experience™

Dear Mark,

We are excited you have chosen to take delivery of your new vehicle at the BMW Performance Center. Your delivery experience will be unlike any other in the automotive industry.

Your Performance Center Delivery for production number 392XXXX is scheduled for 3/12/2008. You will stay the evening prior to your delivery at the Greenville Marriott as our guest.
Appreciate 0