10-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
Rmitchell248
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrfso View Post
When my car came to Europe i changed the software in radio, board computer etc.. So there is no difference between Gallon and Liters, am i wrong? The board computer shows me the details in liters and the difference between US and Europe spec in the SAME conditions are completely different. We were driving next to each other non stop for 170 km (motorway etc) and the difference was 3,9 liters.. its not 0,1 liter so there needs to be a difference. I wanted to put the European map in my engine but i have already said what are the results. The last thing which might have an influence in consumption is that US spec is set to 91 Octan petrol but in Europe we put at least 95 Octan. I arranged the meeting with the Guy from BMW Motorsport department today and in 2 weeks when i go to Germany i will visit him and ask specifically. I will let you Guys what he said. To sum up i prefer to look at practical point of View, not checking the theory... In test it might be the same but my experience tells me that its not...

Let us know what you find out. A lot of the guys on here being jerks have never seen anything outside of what they read on the internet. There are many differences between the emissions in US and Euro Spec cars. I am not saying that the M3 falls in this category but some of my cars get far better economy than their US spec counterparts owned by people I know. Both claimed and real life.

Keep up the practical research and keep us informed

I know that many things go into the calculations for MPG and l/100km but it is interesting that EPA rates the M3 at 20MPG highway but here we get a spec of 8.5 l/100km with the DCT and 9.3 with the 6 speed on the highway. That is equal to 27.5 US MPG and 25 US MPG. Why the difference of 7.5 MPG and 5 MPG highway between the way the two systems measure?

Last edited by Rmitchell248; 10-31-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0