View Single Post
      08-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
All opinions are subjective. The whole set w/premium WS70 Blizzaks will run $1,164, compared to buying the OEM rims, ballpark $1500? Then you are down to only 2 tire choices in the recommended 255/40/18; Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ($1,200) or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D ($1,064). I'm the last guy that will say don't cheap out on parts but a deal is still a deal, and there isn't a single post I have ever seen on here that says the wheels have cracked, bent or straight up snapped in half. Also, 235/40/18 on A7 is a much better option in winter than the 255/40/18, the wider your tire is the more surface area it has to cover to get through the snow/ice in the first place which can be a major problem. Like I said every opinion is subjective and after moving to Calgary in 2009 from the UK, I'd say no state or province has it worse than us, not by a long shot.
Agreed - we all have our opinions and I will admit that I am a bit of a wheel snob. I just don't see the point of putting cheap parts on such a great car. Narrower is better in the snow but I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of snow-day performance in order to have something that looks decent and performs better on the days when it's not snowing. I don't know about your climate, but in MN, which is one of the worst winter locations in the US, it doesn't snow every day, more like 20 days a year at most. And only a few of those have major accumulation. I ran 265 snows on the rear of my car and only had problems on days when the accumulation was greater than my ground clearance - making the car a snow-plow. I don't know that any tire can overcome that level of friction. Lastly, a used set of OEM 18's can be bought for +/- $800. I just sold mine with snows for $900.... (rear snows were worn out).
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0