12-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
IT != programming.

The IT guys I know are clueless about programming and that makes us code monkeys very angry when they try to tell us how to do our jobs lol
Heh yeah, my favorite is when my boss asks me to work on our network and stuff like that. I guess I'm our default IT guy because... SWEng == IT to him. But he's a sales guy so I don't expect him to be able to differentiate.

Lope, look into InfoSec as others have already stated. Also look at all possibilities available to you (you have Ch33, right?). You can dabble a bit here and there and actually talk to people in each subfield to get an idea of where you'd like to start. Get your GenEd out of the way while you figure out exactly which route you want to take, and then hope you made the right choice once you get into core classes. If not, don't stay in a field you hate. Do what you want to do.

If you want to do IT bad enough, despite your current lack of tech savvy, you will be able to do it and be good at it too. You just have to apply yourself. This is generally the area where ex-military are expected to excel, but often that's not the case because it requires us to drive ourselves instead of being forced to move forward as we have been in the military. Keep your head up and stay focused and you should be ok.

Also, radix has some great suggestions for books if you would like to start dabbling on your own and get a starter feel for what some languages are like. They're in a thread somewhere around here. I'll try to dig it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
While you are at it, I'd get all your Microsoft certs. They are simple, and can be done online.
Yeah probably not a bad idea but I'd consult the real IT guys (I'm not one) before selecting which are actually useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
You must be a genius, to be a programmer when computers were just starting out.
Look up Xerox PARC, Bell Labs, IBM/FORTRAN, etc... Personal computers were just starting out around '84, computers in general had been around for decades.

Last edited by ragingclue; 12-30-2011 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0