09-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #55
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
Its not hate, it's being befuddled with a sprinkle of amusement. I mean seriously, is there logic in taking a 20k car designed for 30mpg and dumping another 15k in modifications to get the car to look and behave sporty? Given for the same money, they can choose from a multitude of cars designed from ground up to be a sporty car, have a warranty to go with it, and get better performance and longevity?

I guess I could take a lawnmower, put big wheels and tires on it, hop up the motor, add a long throw suspension, and call it an ATV, but whats the freakin point?
I think your numbers are high. Most heavily modded Hondas and Sentras are purchased used for far less than that.

I would say they are spending:

$4000-$6000 on the car.
$500-$1000 on a full exhaust.
$500-1000 on wheels.
$200 tint.
$500 springs.

So that is $5700 - $8700 to make it look nice and not much else (assuming they have nice taste). I really don't think most people in this category are really trying to make the car perform like an STi/Evo; they just want it to look decent. That is a far cry from an STi that is pushing 40k these days. Even if you do reasonable work on the stereo, it's nowhere close. A used 04/05 STi is probably 14-18k so you are roughly talking 2x, or more, the cash.

Sure you will see japanese econo show cars that have endless money dumped in them, but you see the same thing in the form of M3s with 50k in them. It's all relative.
Appreciate 0