View Single Post
      04-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #308
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

list of things that my D3 can do that the Mark III cannot, that really piss me off:

[photo stuff, not video]
1. the Depth of Field Preview button cannot be assigned to Spot Meter on hold. I use this a lot on my D3 when in Manual mode - I can easily spot meter an area of the scene really quickly and then adjust exposure quickly before taking the shot. With this option, I can keep the Metering mode always in regular "evaluative" mode as the Canon calls it.

2. I can't adjust WB kelvin on the fly without turning on the screen and going through menus, unless I'm in Video or LV mode. On the D3, I can just hold the WB button and spin the top dial to adjust. on the Canon, it just changes the AF mode. And on that note, what the F is ai-servo and ai-focus and one shot?!

3. I have to change hand positions just to turn the camera on/off. [applies to photo and video]

4. The top WB and AF-drive buttons should be swapped.

that's all for now. i'll use the camera for stills tomorrow to really test it out, these above points are from messing with it when I got home tonight. i used it all day today for video. really pleased with it so far. the high clean iso is so nice. i was pissed about the magnify button being on the left side until I figured out how to set it to the center SET button - there's no reason you should have to remove your hand from the manual focus wheel just to zoom in during video. the layout of the buttons took some getting used to - i kept hitting the new magnify button, and the info button is in an awkward spot now. and the only way to turn off the screen during video is to power down or switch to photo mode on the start/stop switch. lame.

Appreciate 0