07-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #4370
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
i don't claim to know everything but i do have a lot of connections in our scene. I know you know the guys at Gintani and I know a bunch of Gintani current and former customers but fact of the matter remains is this: there's so much that doesn't get posted on forums. I'll leave it at that cause i'm not about to cause a forum war. again.
Actually I have heard of Gintani kits also getting too hot under intense track use if it was a stage 2+ (similar to ESS 535 without an intercooler and such)
I didn't mean that Gintani is better than ESS or G Power or AA or whatever. They all have their pros and cons.
I just haven't personally seen any kit other than a Gintani Stage 2+ at the track. Thus I can only comment on what I have personally seen and what I have heard from.

I guess when I said "overheating" I worded it incorrectly. I meant to say "getting really really hot" lol.

But makes sense when you think about it:

Tracking in 100 degree heat without an extremely improved cooling system will cause an engine to overheat (I don't mean overheat and blow up lol, I mean the car will need a cool down lap sooner than others or won't be able to run as many sessions). Even stock M3s can experience heat issues.

I experienced something like this with my 335i. My FMIC was the last thing I upgraded and I regretted it.
When I went with catless downpipes and race map (running mix of 100 and 91, so 93ish) I would experience heatstroke quite a lot on canyon runs.

One mod I was going to do was install an aftermarket oil cooler as well, but I ended up lemoning before I got to that mod. my oil temps would rise a loottttttt whenever I ran a high boost race map (17psi, sometimes 18!) under heavy load.

Any NA car that has been FI will have heat issues over a stock NA one, this is common sense more or less (compared to an engine that was originally built with FI in mind, like the VR38DETT in the GTR).
Even my M3 right now gets pretty hot....I could only imagine increased heat if I did a s/c kit without a FMIC and such.
If I remember right, my temp was over 250 degrees while at Big Willow last time; it was past the 3rd notch. I did a cool down lap immediately, but I could see it going even higher, to 265, 270, if I kept going at it hard.
I was in 3rd gear 7-8k RPM for extremely long periods of time.

Jason, how are your temp figures on hot days?
Its 100 in the valley, not sure how it is where you are though lol. if you bastards are like in the 70s I'm jealous and then that won't even be fair to compare.

Talking about the heat, I drove the Z4 yesterday when it was 100+ out and that damn thing is so slow lol. the heat really kills it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
SEAN, you have very strong views...

d
Is that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg135i View Post
Lol I'm inexperienced with numbers and buying cars! I've just heard that's what some people do...I guess it's more if you don't know if your going to buy it out at lease end, then you should just finance it from the beginning. I wouldn't consider myself financially irresponsible!
You should run all the numbers.

For me, to finance my e93 M3 would have cost me about $1550/month with 0 down.
I wasn't going to pay that much lol. so I leased
if I was going to pay $1500/month I'd have gotten a Porsche 911 or a GTR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriz View Post
and yeah dont Lease then Buy out. not only do you get taxed on your Monthly payment, but your also taxed when you buy the car out too. leasing is for people that want the new/best/greatest things when they come out.
buying is for people that drive the car into the ground 100k mile +. IMO
Yes and no...

the e93 M3's lease rates were horrible before I got mine.

It would have cost upwards of $1200/month to lease it for 3 years.
I would rather pay $1500 for 5 years and own it.

That's why with my previous 335i, I financed it. lease rates were horrible

You need to look at the residuals and money factor as well as the base rate
Appreciate 0