View Single Post
      11-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #16
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
I understand what you're saying but that isn't the case here. It was purchased new and every service that it had seen was performed at a BMW dealership. I bought it as a favour to my father as the dealership was only offering him $8K for it and I knew he wouldn't be patient enough to find more cash privately....lol.
A forum member here had his parents' X5 in for a brake service, after which the caliper wasn't properly tightened. It came loose while driving and locked up a wheel. It's a mistake that could have killed several people.

Having service performed at a BMW dealership is unfortunately not a way of factoring out the question of whether the procedure is performed properly. The only way to guarantee it is to do everything yourself, which as you mentioned, is near impossible (and impractical for most owners of more expensive cars). If BMW techs performed maintenance in the same manner as enthusiast owners, I suspect BMW would be a good bit less profitable.

Imo the only way out is to lease or to know your car better than any tech you allow (pay) to work on it. Hopefully I can switch from latter to former...sometime
Appreciate 0