Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I went to the Porsche dealer yesterday and I drove an X3 xDrive35i M-sport today as well as an SQ5. With my M3 lease ending in January, I'm trying to figure this all out. The Macan is just not going to work for me at this time though.
Some official Macan S info I was given that I'm not sure is easily available:

HP max 5500-6500 RPM but I don't know the redline
TQ max 1450-5000 RPM
Wheels 19x8 235/55 front and 19x9 255/50 rear
Curb weight 4112 lbs
0-60mph is 5.2s or 5.0s with sport chrono launch control
Split folding rear seats 40/20/40
Luggage volume 17.7 cu ft seats up or 53.0 cu ft seats folded
Packages are new and now up on config site

So about those test drives. The X3 was boring as hell and that really surprised me. The steering felt good, ride was nice, throttle was fairly responsive but it just felt fat and tired for power.

Now the SQ5... that was a different story. This thing is excellent fun for what it is. Throttle is nice, torque is fantastic and instant, overall acceleration felt very speedy, and the ride even on 21" wheels was stiff but comfortable. Handling was nice but there was some understeer as I expected but that's why you don't rail an SUV through a corner. I was surprised that the steering was acceptable as well. It was fairly light but accurate and the steering wheel is small(ish) and racy. The engine/exhaust noise is great. Seats were great but no adjustable bolsters and they were a little wide but did the trick.

I worked out some numbers and while I may go for a Macan in the future, not for several years. I think there is a high likelihood I will pick up an SQ5 and it should cost me just under $60k. I was seriously surprised how good it was.
If you who values BMW preferred the SQ5 over the X3 xDrive35i, BMW is doing something very wrong and has to worry about their future. They'll one by one loose all their core customers, jumping boat to Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac (in US) and Porsche. I think BMW is too much focusing in EU and Chinese market, which is not as the US market.
Hell, accord and Camry owners are leaving in droves to the Mercedes CLA.
Appreciate 0