View Single Post
      02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #47
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post
I don't agree with that interpretation. I think what it shows is that there are more violent crimes in the UK, but they result in far fewer deaths (per event and overall). The question is, which do you prefer?
It's not so simple. Sadly for us, for a variety of reasons, the UK has ALWAYS had a lower homicide rate, even before they had ANY gun control. Their rate of gun crime INCREASED after their latest round of gun controls. Ours has decreased with the lapse of the AWB and with more liberal concealed carry laws.

Quote:
Having said all this, you raise a great point. Poverty and oppression beget crime and violence. Vermont has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country, and has a murder rate of 1.3 per 100,000, which is on par with countries like the UK. Which is about 1/4th of the rate in a state like California, which has far more restrictive laws.

What this means is that gun reform alone is not the solution.
Great point. Not a lot of gang violence in Vermont, and tons of it in CA. That said, if you're not a criminal your level of safety is probably fairly similar in either state.
Appreciate 0