View Single Post
      06-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #94
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Porsche are built on a different premis. They don't need high horsepower engines in their cars because they keep their cars light. Acceleration is only ONE part of racing (tracking, auto-x, events, gtr..etc) BMW's, even the M3 is not designed around Porsche's winning formula. The flat six's will get DFI next year and about 9% - 15% more HP also becomming slightly lighter. Thus making it slightly quicker.

Don't ever make the mistake of thinking a BMW will out track a Porsche, it won't. But in the BMW you do get a quiet interior, a stereo that isn't shit and no squeeks or rattles that kinds part of Porsches heritage.

The new M3 is a little bit pigish (weight) if you ask me. I hope it's agility is still there or many will consider it a bust.

-Garrett

The times are a changing my friend. The end of the dominance of the 911 in the sportscar segment is near. Audi's Ferdinand Piech (who married into the Porsche family, ironically) forced the development of the R8, which is the first direct competitor to the 911 from a German car company.

This broke the gentlemen's agreement between BMW, MB and Audi.....now you are going to see the R8 and BMW's dedicated sports car.

Porsche will not be able to maintain its dogmatic adherance to rear-engine drive cars.....it would be competitive. Even BMW has hinted they are going lightweight for the next generation of M cars with a modest increase in power.