View Single Post
      10-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver Nissan 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
That is a great piece, and quintessential Top Gear stuff - both entertaining and educational.

First time I encountered anything like this was a piece in "Car Life" magazine way back in '71, comparing everyday Buick Skylark 350s, one a high-compression 1970 model, and the other a '71, set up to run on the then-new (and mandated) no-lead regular fuel.

Result: Just what you might expect, given the Top Gear piece. The 1970 car was of course quite a bit quicker than the '71, but it also got definitively better mileage throughout the side-by-side test - enough to more than offset the price-per-gallon difference between the fuels.

Primary difference: The '71 had to gas it harder to stay with the loafing 1970 car, pretty much like the M3-Prius story.

Bruce

Hahah yep. It is great to have this video when treehuggers come complaining. Granted emissions may be different, and I do care about the environment as well, but life has it's pleasures, and this is one of those legal pleasures that I would kill to experience everyday. One time a lady heard my Civic Si pull up at Trader Joe's and she proceeded to ask me a very stupid question and followed with a statement that pissed me off (mind you this is looking at my CIVIC!): Do you care about the environment? It doesn't look like it. I kindly smiled and said to her, when I keep my foot down, my car gets 14mpg. . She shut up, and I got some delicious TJ's Macaroni and Cheese
Appreciate 0