View Single Post
      07-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

How much cardio do you do?

I got big into lifting in college, and have been doing it almost daily for the past 5 years. Thing that I found that works best is to split your days, weights one day, cardio another, but make sure on the weight days that you do 10 minutes of cardio to warm up. Stretch every day too! Doing hardcore weights and lots of cardio in the same workout is a waste, I think.

You don't really need to waste your money on all that crap, none of it really worked for me, other than preworkout drinks (just for energy) and protein. The next thing you have to pay attention to is what you eat. I would eat almost every night 2 boiled chicken breasts and brown rice. Not that tasty, but one of the healthiest things you can eat. I'm 5'8, 170 and can rep 350 3 times on the bench, and the only thing I take is protein, preworkout drink and eating right.

Dont cut down on carbs, just on fats, especially saturated and NO trans.

Do squats. Those are the biggest muscles in your body and you burn the most calories when you work your quads. You also release a specific hormone (I dont remember what it is though) that is pretty much only released when you do squats. This hormone helps build muscle.

I was a swimmer growing up, and it is great cardio. It does get hard to swim when you start building too much muscle, so I started playing 2-3 hours of basketball a day, 3 times a week as my cardio.

Make sure you are using free weights, not machines. Free weights are more difficult and work more muscles.

Do different typs of exercises. Dont do the same 3 exercises for a specific muscle group every time, try and find a dozen you can do and switch them up. Makes the workouts less monotonus and you work more and different areas.

Sorry if that was all over the place. If you tell us what you do at the gym, we can better help.

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0