View Single Post
      10-09-2011, 03:07 AM   #89
doc19
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 6MT

Maybe sticking my head in the lions mouth here... but I'm working the night shift and its quiet. So here I go.

I agree with the OP here... everything else aside, I think it boils down to this:

After he got the offer, that he found unacceptable, he asked for a phone call so they could discuss it, and he didn't get it. It wasn't about the money, it was about the ability to discuss the situation on the phone. When he didn't get that, he decided to take his business elsewhere. Good for him.

I know that the customer isn't always right, even in my field you deal with very unreasonable people from time to time. But I also think the downfall of customer service these days is that most of us are willing to roll over and lower our expectations because "that's just the way things are."

I feel like we as consumers have given up our buying power by putting up with substandard service. By flexing our ability to go somewhere else with our money is the only way we can make these companies change practices.

For instance - my interaction with the evil Comcast. I had automatic bill pay with Comcast, and for some unknown reason, one of my payments didn't go through and was credited back to my bank account (and it wasn't a lack of sufficient funds). Now I actually balance my check book, but I balance it to make sure there are no unauthorized charges, if I notice more in my account I chalk it up to an arithmetic error on my part, or a charge not clearing yet. Anyway, Comcast never notified me. What they decided to do was cut off my service, on a day that my brother, who works IT, was working from home from my house. No warning. I was working that day so I couldn't figure out what was going on, but my brother couldn't do his work.

So I called and tried to be reasonable about why didn't they just notify me that the payment didn't go through, and I would have happily paid on time had they notified me. I wasn't asking for a discount, I just didn't want to pay the late fee. I got nothing, just a "this is your fault for not noticing the payment didn't go through." And when I asked to speak to a manager she responded indignantly "He will just tell you the same thing so what's the point?" So I told them to cancel my service.

Now for where I live, for cable and high speed internet, Comcast is the only game in town. But I was willing to exercise my right as a consumer and suffer through no cable and internet because I was that displeased with my experience. As a result, I got a phone call and a personal visit to my house from a regional manager, and they covered my payment that month and cut 10% off my monthly fee.

Never thought that would've happened, and wouldn't have happened unless I decided not to put up with their garbage. And you know what? Even if that didn't happen I still would be satisfied with my choice to forgo their service so I wouldn't be giving my money to a company that I thought didn't deserve it.

Now, don't be rude, don't cause a scene, don't be a douche. But notify them you are unhappy with the service you received and you will be taking your business else where. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Appreciate 0