View Single Post
      06-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #74
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
This thing is really getting out of hand. Its really not fair in comparing a modified car to a stock car. You say those $800 mods will beat an M. Ok. How about the M gets an ecu tune for itself and then lets see how it holds up.
They make an ECU flash for the M3 that's $800 or less?
From what I heard the ECU flashes for the M3's do very little (like 10 hp at best).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imballin2day View Post
Please lets not forget the video Sticky made a while back when the guy thought his ecu tuned 335 was the fastest thing ever. If you wanna see it look here.
Instead of using a modified M3 vs a 335i with an old, weak tune as your point of argument, maybe you should look up the current tunes for the 335i.
It might upset you a bit, but a tune only 335i can run equal to (M3 DCT) and slightly ahead of (M3 6MT) a stock M3.

Heck I ran a modified M3 with intake, exhaust, pulley and tune (and he was lowered and some weight removed) and stayed even from 40-90 than from 90-130 he only pulled about 1 CL and was pulling from there. But I was in a tune only 335i, no other mods, no weight reduction.
If he was tune only like me, he'd of lost by a bit, if he was stock he'd of lost by more.

There is no doubt the M3 is an overall better car, but the fact still remains, the 335i is a DAMN good car for $15-20k less.
And for $500 tune the 335i is every bit as fast in a straight line.

People with M3's keep bring up track times and so forth, but my bet is 90% of them don't take their cars to the track.
And 90% of M3 owners won't drive their cars hard enough even on canyon roads to exceed the limits of the 335i either.

However, 95% of the time, the torque and low end power of the 335i's engine is an advantage over the M3's.
And the lower price, lower insurance, better gas mileage of the 335i is also a bonus.

I'd take an M3 in a heartbeat, but honestly like SO many other M3 owners on this board, would miss the low end torque.
That's why to many a C63 is the best of both worlds.

To the OP, just go drive the two cars.
And sit down and figure out what your priorities in a car are.
If you plan to track, love the sound of the V8 (who doesn't really) and want the extra handling of the M3, but all means get the M3, you can't lose.
But if you don't need that ultimate handling, and can "live" with a car that has very good handling/braking (better than 95% of the cars on the road anyway) and want low end grunt plus save yourself $15-20k right away and several thousands more in gas, and insurance costs, get the 335i.
Appreciate 0