09-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
Very nice video Lucid, and good driving to stick with the E36 - fun isn't it. At the BMW club HPDEs I participate in (advance group) allows passing anywhere with a point by, and a lot of passing is done in brakeing zones, turns, and off line. It is a good disipline for all of us to experience, and next to racing, it is a great leaning and teaching tool for us to know. As you say, you quickly learn that you car will do much more than you have normally done driving the "school" line. The last event at VIR with Tarheel, we did a session exercise of side by side at speed, which places each car at an on line and off line position all the way around the track. After a lap or two, we change sides. As I say, this is done at speed, therefore, some passing is necessary as some cars go slower. If you ever get the opportunity to do this, shy of race school, I highly recommend it. You quickly learn how to "trust" the driver you are driving next to.
vz
I see. I thought they allowed it in instructor groups only in general. I know some chapters have exceptions. I think the White Mountain chapter has the "passing stripes" for instance. If you are trained for passing anywhere, you can put them on, and if the other driver has them as well, then you can pass that car anywhere kind of thing. I am actually planning to attend a club racing school soon.