03-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yeah, I could imagine it's a big penalty on the E92. I wonder what the difference is on the E90. I would think the CF roof makes around 10 pounds of difference vs. a plain steel skin just as an ass-pull guesstimate. Sunroofs are definitely the worst place to add weight to a car unless you put 50 pounds on a 10 foot pole mounted to the roof.

Negligible isn't negligible if it's more than 2 pounds IMO. If we're conservative about the estimates that seriousm3 posted, we just saved 100 pounds by leaving out the sunroof, audio, and fold-down seats. My gut feeling is that an E90 M3 with every option could weigh as much as 200 pounds more than a stripper with no options. I have an idea of what all the little googaws weigh by themselves (I've had a few of these god-awful BMW's, lol) but I have no data whatsoever.
I think I remember reading that the CF roof is worth 11 lbs over a steel skin so that's a good guess. I skimped on a lot of options with weight in mind, and the money savings is nice too. Honestly, there isn't anything that I really wanted that I did not get anyways. I like keeping things simple. Both of my cars are 6-speeds and neither have moonroofs.