04-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
My service rep passed aong a story of this guy who destroyed two MT on a new e92 M3. BMW replaced both trannies even after downloading info from the ECU documenting abuse. It took the guy one week to destroy the second tranny. Including an ECU flash and a top speed of 180+. BMW can and will step up to the plate in some cases. Not sure why this guy got the 2nd tranny... Anyway, they warned him it was his last one.
If that story is true, my guess is that BMW is cognizant of potential PR issues. I must assume that Nissan's approach has hurt them in some way. If I were seriously considering a GTR purchase, and I learned that de-activating traction control/DSC/VDC or whatever meant voiding of warranty and that Nissan was actually acting on that, I would simply say screw you and walk away. For instance, if BMW started voiding M3 warranties because people drove them in HPDEs, I would get rid of the car and never buy another BMW (I bought two new BMWs so far). That doesn't mean that I think BMW should replace the transmission of an idiot twice who doesn't know how to treat his car, but it might mean that BMW does not want any potential negative publicity around its warranty proposition.