View Single Post
      08-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

Dilemma at the office... suggestions?

Ok, I'm in a situation at work where I've become a bit isolated within my department, and I'm not sure what to do. I can't afford to simply quit.

I'm the new guy in the group (1.5 years tenure vs. 5, 11 and 12 years for my peers, and our manager has 25+ years of service). We've been going through various systems and process changes, and as a former consultant, I was asked to be the systems liaison for the group. I attend all the corporate systems meetings and bring back action items and requirements. Problem is, all they do is complain, stonewall, and throw smokescreens. They've been doing the same job for years, and anyone involved with moving their cheese becomes hated.

What makes things more complex is that I don't agree with any of them on much of anything else. How did I end up in a situation where all of my peers are so hard to like?
- The first guy could be Archie Bunker's twin, he frequently makes racist comments (esp. towards Mexicans and Muslims, but also towards African Americans and anyone else who doesn't fit his definition of the "right type of American." He's in his late 60's and has spoken of retirement, so he could be gone soon, although that could be years away.
- The second guy is a hard-core Tea Party supporter who never smiles, is not constructive in team settings, and is unbelievably condescending (unbelievable because he's not too bright). He is also passive aggressive towards me, and subtly gives me a hard time when he can.
- The last guy has made negative comments towards blacks that really bother me.

You would think that I work at a horrible company, but it's actually a run-of-the-mill middle market manufacturing company that has worldwide distribution. Is it common to be surrounded by such bullies?

Now that I've written this, the answer seems to be clear on paper. I can't afford to quit, so how do I make life more bearable while I'm in this position, until I do find a more hospitable place to land?

Last edited by blueshark; 08-12-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0