02-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
a simple Google search for 2008 BMW M3 clutch kits brings up 3 different website that seems to sell a clutch kit for our cars called "Spec" Stage 5. for around $1700.xx blah blah.. I wouldn't buy that and Hope UUC comes out with a clutch kit before my ///M needs it..

I would do my own clutch when that time comes..... But I must ask, what early indicators are you feeling or getting that says a replacement may be needed ?

I track my car at the minimum once a month and I have yet to feel any difference in my clutch compared to day 1. And I easily Easily out drive my stock brakes each time.. (my brake search has begun) sorry

With that said, I drive my car Properly Hard and she pushes back and wants and takes more... and my Clutch is still Solid.

Hope you car is ok.. GL
I think tracking a car tends to put more pressure on the brakes and tires than the clutch but lots of folks quote track days as the barometer for heavy clutch wear so maybe i'm wrong.

I too track my car a few times a year - usually 3 or 4 BMW CCA HPDEs per annum but, again, I really don't think those weekend sessions kill the clutch as much as the city miles I have on the car. I live in downtown DC and use my M3 as a daily commuter car. I bought the car new - its an '08 with 56,000 miles. Aside from NY and LA, we have some of the worst traffic in the country - my 13 mile drive to work takes between 30 minutes and an hour with a lot of stop and go and traffic lights.

I tend to be hard on the clutch on a regular basis - besides stop and go, I typically start in 2nd gear. I also like to play in the rain a bit and maximize my skidpad time at the track so I will occasionally let the clutch out a little higher on the revs (2.5 - 3.5k) to get the back end out rather than wait for the opportunity to employ throttle off oversteer. Not common but it all adds up to to premature wear.

To finally answer your question - I'm noticing some slipping in 1st and 2nd gear - especially when pulling away from a stop.
Appreciate 0