View Single Post
      04-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #55
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
Since they have dipped into the 335i market, I was wondering if COBB will have a handheld tuner available for the e92 M3?

I would DEFINITELY buy one if it was introduced for ~$1000. Or would the market be too small? I know these are questions I should be asking COBB; and I may depending on responses from this thread. Maybe if enough people chime in interest, they will do something for us? Or maybe someone here is hooked up?

Here are the main features which interest me:

1) No need to send in ECU for tuning

2) Change maps based on new mods you buy, instantly.

3) Conveniently data log sensor values for up to 10 hours

4) Measure 0-60mph time, 60 foot and 1/4 mile ET's, Trap Speed and dyno simulation tool

5) Read engine trouble codes to diagnose issues. Clear them when resolved.

6) Once the AccessPORT is uninstalled, it can be installed on a different vehicle of the same make/model/year. Since the AccessPORT can be uninstalled, combined with the ability to update the AccessPORT firmware via the internet, it retains a high resale value.

Please COBB, DO SOMETHING FOR US!!
There are tools available already which do almost everything on the above wishlist.

The tune itself is of great importance and there are companies who have a huge amount of experience with the MSS65 control unit and how to extract power from the S65 engine safely. Cobb may well be able to provide a great tune also but it would take some time most likely as they would want to go through a complete development process rather than just using someone else's tuning or even start with someone else's tuning. Pretty serious bunch of guys.

For example, we have an end user tool called the evolve-R.
You do need a laptop to make it work but it is relatively cheap with the following features:

1) ECU write time of less than 45 seconds.
2) You can have an infinite number of tunes sent to you instantly and you can keep them.
3) The cost of the unit is very low in price so you don't really have to worry about resale value. Even if you do move cars you get a good discount off the next unit
4) Datalogging features are being incorporated
5) Read/Clear DTC are being incorporated
6) 4/5 will be available as a free software update when they are released
7) You get a full range of tuning available to you including stock car, HFC delete, Akrapovic specific tune, intake modifications and supercharged software. Also for different fuel grades.

The only thing we will not be able to do in the near future is the performance datalogging.

As mentioned before, the most important thing is the tuning itself.
Appreciate 0