11-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrjs View Post
WHich one is quicker to 60 and through the quarter
Although a single test is not definitive (especially when the cars are so closely matched), the Car & Driver comparison test earlier this year showed the automatic-equipped base 911 and M3 to be near equals in acceleration, with identical 4.1 times to 60 and 9.9 to 100 mph. The Porsche starts pulling away at that point, arriving at 150 mph in 25.2 seconds vs 25.9 for the Bimmer. I assume that's because the Porsche pushes less air at speed, since the M3 does better on power to weight.

In the quarter mile, they both finish at 113 mph, with the Porsche ahead by around a car length at a 12.5 second ET vs 12.6 seconds for the M3.

I am assuming that the Porsche gets most or even all of it's lead in the first 100 feet or so of the race, by dint of having around 13% more poundage over the drive wheels at the start.

Forget the identical 0-60 and 0-100 mph numbers, since time to speed and time to distance are essentially unrelated. The Porsche gets the jump, and the bimmer holds on from there through a quarter mile.

This particular 911 didn't have the Sport Chrono package, so figure it would be a little quicker if it did.

Out on the road, the cars ought to be closer together than half past six, but I'd bet a nickel that the M3 would have a minor advantange at highway speeds. I admit I could lose that nickel, but I am resolute.

997S2? Whoa! There he goes, from any speed to any other speed.

Bruce
Appreciate 0