Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
The benefits of stability systems far outweigh the notion that it may somehow lure people into a false sense of security.
I absolutely agree with you but I don't think you are getting my point....its probably because I'm not explaining myself very well.
So perhaps an example might help.
I'm in my third E46 M3, with DSC on, accelerating in 2nd gear along a wet dual carriageway with a very slight (and I mean hardly noticeable) bend.
So at full throttle going through 70mph everything is fine, no wheelspin, car feels great until I hit a slight bump in the road and instantly I am completely sideways...literally at 90 degrees to the direction of the road.
So my point is, if the car didn't have DSC I would been more circumspect and kept a little in reserve, less throttle, short shifted whatever....but instead I put just enough faith in the DSC to get me into serious trouble.
DSC is great until the day comes when it doesn't save your ass.
I understand, to be fair, while you probably wouldn't have floored it had you had DSC off, it could also be said that it was not DSC's fault you spun, in fact, it probably helped reduce the severity of that spin and you are now are much more aware that DSC is as the manual states as being not able to defy the laws of physics. You would now be going down the same stretch of road, weary of that bump, at a less enthusiastic pace in the wet, and with DSC still on and be even safer for it. We all live and learn.

Last edited by mlhj83; 04-11-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0