View Single Post
      03-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #91
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I meant to reply and make these comments yesterday, but ran out of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Agree. DCT does not represent the type. DCT is simply a type of sequential manual gearbox (as is SMG).
Yeah, on this one I have to echo swamp's comments below (and disagree with yours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
DCT, sequential and SMG are quite different. All manuals at heart, so Ido think we agree on that. A SMG is nothing more than a truly standard manual with hydraulic/computer control added for the traditional clutch and traditional levers/forks...
Quote:
[With a sequential manual] You can not really skip gears. Even with a two click operation during one clutch in, that "skipped" gear is actually physically engaged. That is the essense of the sequential, SMG and DCT can truly skip gears.
Exactly BMW's SMG is not really a sequential manual at all. In fact, sequential manuals predate modern computer controlled transmissions altogether. All you need to build a sequential manual is a manual transmission and a rotating corkscrew mechanism that is designed to move the shift forks in and out of engagement in succession. It's really quite simple and ingenious. It cleverly solves the problem of how to shift a motorcycle without having to reach for a gated shifter that would necessarily be located somewhere other than the handlebars.

Quote:
Bringing the term sequential back to mkoesel's approach for naming is an interesting topic. What should a sequential transmission be called?
Very simple. A proper sequential manual is indeed a manual transmission. The reason, as always, is that it can only be shifted manually. That's the only criteria that is important. Any modern variation that may have some baked in automatic mode is no longer a sequential manual (by definition). Note that I am not sure if such an animal exists (an auto-shifting "sequential manual"), but I suspect that they do. Also, note that some sequential manuals operate the clutch for you (mechanical, or sometimes via a solenoid, I believe). This is still very much a sequential manual since you still absolutely have to shift it yourself.

Quote:
...the VAST majority of the automotive world felt a new term was needed and chose one - "sequential" or "sequential manual".
The proper name is "sequential manual", not simply "sequential" as that is terribly underspecific for the name of a transmission itself, IMHO. And of course the reason the word "manual" was chosen to follow "sequential" is very much elementary as I've just illustrated.

Quote:
Indeed, sorry to Levi a well, this was a MASSIVE off topic onslaught...
+2

Quote:
The mods could clean up the thread pretty easily. Anyone can report threads that are crass, OT or anyhting else that may violate forum rules. Just click the little reg/white/black exclamation point in the lower left under the avatar area in a post.
Great by me, just lets move the offending discussion somewhere instead of killing it off entirely, ok? That's pretty frustrating when the latter happens for no good reason.
Appreciate 0