View Single Post
      10-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #70
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Actually I'll bet that most enthusiasts are primarly concerned with performance. I know I am. Luckily most cars that perform well also look good. There are plenty of exceptions of course, but when form follows function, and function is "to be an exciting means of transportation", then usually the form is quite pleasing. Probably this is partly because we are somewhat trained to judge the beauty of a car by how it performs (or appears like it should perform). For someone looking for a vehicle with some utility and fairly good fuel economy, the RAV4 or CRV may well be beautiful. It's just that those traits just happen not to be valued by most car enthusiats.

Still, I would not call anyone a fanboy just for prefering an SUV over a sport sedan. However, it is certainly a curious leap to take. I don't think the OP has any interest in an SUV but I could be mistaken.

Also, it is a bit curious that you mentioned liking a lot of different SUVs:

"fx and x6 are best looking SUV in my book. merc g55 amg are sick, and cayenne is not too bad especially the turbo is aggresive looking. I'm not attracted to any other SUV."

But left out the Audi Q7 which to me is worlds better looking than the Cayenne with which it shares a platform. The Q7 V12 Diesel would make a compelling alternative to the Porsche Turbo, I'll bet.
no, I think the q7 is nice, but the shape is a bit short in height which made the rims look too big for it. kinda odd shape. give it a few inches taller and it should be a decent looking SUV. so no, I would pick many other SUV before consider the q7. I sat in the Q7 and felt that the driver seating position is too low for an SUV. there is no point to buy an SUV but you can't have that commanding view of the road.

I'm not saying car enthusiasts don't buy car based on performance, but that is not the only main reason. like you can have lot of performance in an sti, evo, etc but many choose the m3 because of the look, badge, heritage, total package, whatever really doesn't matter. But I'm sure look is one big part of the purchase decision even to a car enthusiast. That's why most of us would mod the exterior of the car right?
Appreciate 0