View Single Post
      02-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #86
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
engine is the only thing corvette has. to be fair, even the engine is nothing special. bmw can extract 100hp+/liter any day, out of any engine.

while ls3 and ls7 are more advanced than predecessors, there is absolutely zero technological advancement. engine is still a push-rod with 16 valves and getting 505hp out of 7L or 436 out of 6.2L is nothing special. of course in a typical GM matter, to obtain extra 36hp, instead of revising intake/exhaust sides out of their previous 6L engine, chevy increases displacement. how innovative!!!

haven't been following on suspension. are they still on leaf springs? interior is still out of a rental malibu and on-center steering feel is disastrous in comparison to any other $50k performance car.

great power bargain for drag strip. thats about it.
Great example of pinhead logic plus ignorance.

See, the point I was making was that the LS3 is lighter than the M3 V8. It's also more compact (particularly in height), so you can get a lower center of gravity. Obviously, it also makes more power (by 22 hp), and more torque (by 124 pound feet!). If you put this engine in a new M3, you'd have a lighter car that would handle a little better (due to the lower center of gravity), plus the car would be quite a bit faster on a drag strip or road course - and be stupendously faster on the street in everyday driving.

Technology that results in more power per liter only matters if it matters - and in the case of the LS3 vs the new M3 V8, it doesn't matter at all.

Leaf springs? If you open your mind and check out the springs on the Vette, you'd be nodding your head in appreciation. There's another area where technology only matters when it matters, and the new Vette will beat the M3 easily on a road course as well as a drag strip - or anywhere else, for that matter, including gas mileage.

The standard interior is just about to Malibu specs, but if you check out a new Malibu V6, it's probably the absolute standard of its class. Yeah, the Vette is far from terrific, but not bad at all.

Plus, for those who care, the new optional interior is just plain nice. Very upscale, in fact.

The on-center steering feel in the '08 Vette is very good, thank you. I haven't driven a new M3 to compare yet.

I'm not in the market for a new Vette (and may be for the new M3 if it drives better than I think it will), but facts is facts.

Bruce
Appreciate 0