View Single Post
      08-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #85
M3Rad
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Another engineer here.

Paul, BMW came late to the "better brakes" game. They just opened a relationship with Brembo last year, and the 135i has been the only car benefited since that new agreement.

BMW knows they're not offering the best brakes in the business, as Audi & Mercedes (their main competitors) are doing. Hence their interest of having this agreement with Brembo.

Unfortunately, the E92 M3 came 1 year too early to get a Brembo setup. BMW is offering the 6-piston Brembo kit in ROW for all the 1/3 series through their performance accessories catalog.

The good news is that future performance BMW models will get standard or optional multi-piston brakes. Brembo supplies both metal and CCB rotors and monobloc calipers to Ferrari and Porsche among others.

I'm running a spreadsheet with weight saving items for the E92 M3, and switching to the Carbon Ceramic 6F/4R piston Stoptech brake system can save close to 60 lbs on unsprung weight.

While I'm on the market for a GT3 replacement, I was thinking on getting a less expensive track/auto-x car as to not put that many miles on the GT3 replacement car. Initially, I was thinking on a Cayman S, but this E92 M3 has so much potential, that for about the same price, I can have a car that will be lapping faster than the Coxster, and stock 996 GT3 with r-comp territory.

The M3 is a fun car to drive, I like it too much. It needs a 4 times stiffer suspension, 500 lbs weight reduction and better brakes for my track/auto-x needs, but everything else is phenomenal, including balance, predictability, the engine, DCT transmission and the available space (I can carry my tires and tools without a trailer).
08 BMW M3
09 Scuderia
Appreciate 0