MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
How do you know that? Just asking.
Boiling point of radiator fluid is somewhere in the 225-235F range and radiator systems operate under 10-15 psi pressure which will raise the boiling point another 20F or so. I don't think his radiator fluid is necessarily that close to boiling, but there's no doubt that both the water and oil are pretty darn hot. Oil at 270 is frying hot and if this were conventional oil it would be breaking down. I think it's hard to know which sensor triggered the limp condition, but in mind mind both are running pretty hot.
Most modern BMWs start protective actions (disabling AC, reducing power etc) after coolant reaching ~240F or 116C, so it is reasonable that a warning would be about 10F before that, as shown on the graph. To me it seems they are being overly cautions, but they definitely know more than I do.

Oil on the other hand is far from its limits. In 335s, especially one's without extra oil cooler, their inferior oil is routinely at 250-260 in city, and I've seen very close to 300 without limp modes.
Appreciate 0