04-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #77
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I think you lost all credibly for the technical people in this forum.
+1

Quote:
What loads do you think the bar will resist and from where? No much happening at the damper for forces. There are loads into the sub frame bushing, rear tension struts and rear spring reaction forces.

The problem I’m having with this:

• Your reinforcing an area that is a box section…it already the strongest and stiffest part of the car. No question about this.
• Your attachment system is not at a load bearing part of the structure. At least it will not hurt anyting.
I agree that most loads are going into the rear subframe, the suspension arm mounting loads and the spring loads. Exactly. However, there are the rear shock damping loads that go directly into the shock mounting locations and then into the chassis near by - right where the mounting plates of the bar attach.

The question of any type of rear shock tower bar is basically one of two springs in parallel (well if you imagine the bar and chassis itself simply as very stiff springs - which they are). The effectiveness of a design to reduce relative movement between these points is then simply about the bars stiffness compared to the stiffness of the chassis itself. This is the key point. And compared to a welded steel contruction like this chassis and the box like nature of this part of the car this puny little aluminum tubing bar with the constrained pivots just is not stiff enough. On top of that even if the bar did have sufficient stiffness to stiffen this part of the chassis the cars roll stiffness would still be dominated by the torsional spring rate of its front and rear sway bars.

Quote:
Also, it is not possible for a bar like this to make a car flatter in corner so I suggest you just don’t say it.
Precisely. Or if it is flatter, is it so by such a miniscule amount, that is would be nearly immeasurable.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0