Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
I read all the questions and tested them today so I can get your answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Sms tell us more about the auto modes are they a real torque converter alternative. How does the gearbox react when braking and then accelerating fairly strongly again before the car has come to a complete stop? This tends to catch a few semi-autos unprepared.
Just for you, I drove all the way to work in Auto mode. Let me tell you it is unbelievable. Couple of examples, I was in 7th gear doing about 80mph coming up to a 80 degree right turn. I brake late, got about 1/3 way through the corner, punched the accelerator and M-DCT already had me in 3rd gear to accelerate. It was extremely smooth and very impressive. Another time I was doing about 50pmh, sort of slammed on the brakes, gave it gas and it already put me in the perfect gear for this situation ... complete smooth transaction. Now while driving under normal conditions, you can get the transmission to shift to the upper gear by slightly letting off the gas and then accelerate. Bottom line is I am very impressed with the auto mode. It is nice just to concentrate on steering, braking, and acceleration and still have a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wads View Post
Congratulations!!! I have to confirm my E93 M3 order tomorrow (Monday) and the one thing I've always worried about is a delay with the M-DCT..... could you say a few more words about how long the delay is when shifting in the more agressive manual modes..... I know you can't use full throttle yet so that may make a difference but can you have a stab at describing the lenght of delay in S5 at half throttle from pulling the paddle to when the shift takes place..... eg. paddle/bang no noticable delay, paddle///bang a tiny delay, paddle/////bang maybe 1/2 second delay, paddle////////bang very noticable delay

I've always been a manual guy so the M-DCT is a bit of a risk for me so any help on this would be massively appreciated

The UK dealer I'm using only has 2 M3 vert build slots and I'm hoping to tie up the 2nd one tomorrow.
The best way I tell you about the delay is to make racing sounds with your voice. The time it takes you to change pitch your voice is about the time it takes for M-DCT to shift between gears. You just can't put a time delay on it because it happens so fast and seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I do have one question, Senior B you say you can select neutral while the car is rolling, however can you put it back into gear from neutral while the car is also still rolling?
Great question but I got to the bottom of it today. First, like I stated before you can shift to neutral from any gear. You can also shift back into gear but M-DCT will put you in a higher gear. Example, I was doing about 50mph in 4th gear, shifted to neutral and let the rpms drop to idle, shifted back into gear and I was in 7th gear. I would image this prevents you from overreving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavM3 View Post
What is the default RPM when using launch control? I know you are in the break-in period, but is it mentioned in the owner's manual?

It is interesting that you can dec/increase RPM by 500 for LC. You couldn't do that with US spec SMG.
Sorry, no mention in the book. But if you wait 900 more miles I will let you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Dude you really need to take this thing out there and puts some miles on the car. You are on barrowed time before you go back to the states and not be able to take the car to the limit like you can now in Germany. Plus you need the miles so you don't have to pay the sales tax on your car when you get back in the states.
I have it all planned out to get over the 1200 hump:

1. Tomorrow Calw - Landstuhl hospital
2. 5 Apr Calw - landstuhl hospital
3. 7 Apr Calw - Reggensburg (plant tour)
4. 8 Apr Calw - Wurzburg - buddy picking up a 335 vert

Total kilometers is 1750 = 1087 miles+current mileage+=1200 service=LC/S6

Also I answered my own question about using Low Speed Assistant in 2nd gear. The answer is yes you can do it, but must only be in D1 settings. When you are in D1, M-DCT automatically starts you off in 2nd gear from a start. If you use any settings greater than D1, i.e D2, D3 ect, you start off in 1st gear. You can use Low Speed Assistant from a start in either 1st or 2nd gear.

Word to the wise, if you want to stay below 5500rpms, don't use auto mode and get on it ... trust me, I know now....
Appreciate 0