View Single Post
      01-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #83
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
I'm not going to attack the military sales' program (though I'd be curious to know about its history, and does it apply, for e.g. to Aussies / Canucks etc also serving?)

But what I don't buy is the argument about "average military member makes less than his civilian counterpart". My wife is a professor with 13 years of education (ie highly trained professional) and she makes less than the guy who runs my performance reports who's 30 years' old. Professors / teachers, many professions make less than someone in industry, and they also serve the community in educating the population. They don't benefit from any discounts. I have a mate who is at Ft Riley, KS, and he makes more than my wife and has never been deployed 'in country'.

Again: I state, I am NOT attacking the MIL sales' program. Merely rebutting this "lower relative income = right to discount" argument.
BMW and I believe most other German car makers offer their programs to other countries servicemen as well. I know for a fact that UK military members and diplomats also qualify.

This program applies to servicemen serving across the globe. Not just those serving in the Middle East. As stated before, the program also includes diplomats and civilian conctractors.

Also, as stated earlier, the program simply cuts out the middle man allowing the cars to be sold just above invoice. BMW does not sacrifice any of its own profits for this program. I really dont understand how removing the program would change MSRP. Think about it this way, when you know the manager of a dealership and he offers you a car at MSRP because he is your buddy, does that have any effect on the car manufacturers profits? The answer is no, essentially the manager has sacrificed his profits to offer his buddy the car at invoice or at the dealer cost if you will.

Jason