View Single Post
      02-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
socalm3lover
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
How's it going M3post. I'm trying to get some opinions on being over 50k without any type of warranty. I see people posting about rod bearings being worn, iacv's going bad, throttle solenoids going bad, coil packs failing, and other common issues. I know it doesnt happen to everyone but these seem to be the most popular. On the other hand I see people talking about being able to experiment with new and different oils, all types of mods, and other stuff like that. I'm just looking for opinions from people who are out of warranty about the pros and cons of being out of warranty and the risks also. I have an extended warranty just for the record.
OP, extended warranties are nothing more and nothing less than insurance against expensive repairs, should it need them. The M3s are very reliable cars, but when they break, they are generally very expensive. If you can afford $1,000s and don't mind spending it if they break, go for it. If you do not want to pay/cannot afford expensive repairs, buy the insuance. Obviously, the insurance companes make money for the service they provide, as they should.

I recently had a spindle replaced. Not sure how much it would have cost, but I am sure a couple of thousand with trouble shooting and replacing. I suspect I got about 1/2 of my premium returned. You are rolling the dice.

Good luck,

John
Appreciate 0