serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Yet another douche bag cop. Simple minded dolts that somehow pass the civil service exam.

I personally believe that many loud bike riders are DBs themselves, but there is a prevalent logic that "loud pipes save lives". I'm a believer in that philosophy, but still try not to upset folks if I can avoid it. This cop just bunches all loud bike riders into one group because he's too simple minded to evaluate more than one factor at a time.
There is "prevalent logic" by Harley riders who like loud pipes; those same bikers will tell you that it's dangerous to wear a helmet because there is "prevalent logic" that a helmet strap will kill you. In reality, they want to ride a loud bike without a helmet and rationalize it. Let's not confuse herd mentality with actual facts, and there is no evidence that loud pipes save lives, at least not by any unbiased party.

I personally believe that people can and should do whatever they want. I really don't care--up to the point when it affects me. And if I'm sleeping in on some Saturday morning when some DB with a modded M3 exhaust or some Harley rider with straight pipes goes for a cold start, it affects me. Clearly, LED rings, coil overs, CF goodies, etc, make no difference to me, so enjoy. But your "right" to enjoy a loud engine, make more power, whatever other justification you invent to rationalize your "right" ends when it impacts me.

So, do what you want, but save your moral indignation for the times when (1) you're not breaking the law, technically or otherwise; and (2) you're not affecting others' right to enjoy their space. Obviously, some people are unreasonable in what offends them, which is why we have noise ordinances that establish an objective standard. If you meet those rules, then I have no complaints.

And yes, I ride.
Appreciate 0