08-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #68
Wads
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & Tuned Focus ST

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Dude, not knocking anyone, but when I had a cheap car that was "quick" I didn't go around saying it would beat out a 911 S, M3 or corvette........
I suggest you re-read what I actually said and then explain to everyone where I suggested that my ST was quicker than an M3. I said that the ST (in modified form) is a quick car and also that I didn’t expect my new E93 M3 to be as quick in gear (which I honestly don’t and will measure as and when the new car is fully run-in using the timing gear I’ve used on a wide range of fast cars….. the same $600 kit used by many top car magazines so not a simple stopwatch).

I totally understand your scepticism of my comments as for one you don’t know me nor have any reason to trust anything I say….. but all I can say is that as a 40 year old car geek I have no reason to troll or make up rubbish on a car forum. As far as the ST goes I purchased it as a “make do” car not really expecting to be impressed with its (straight line) performance, coming from a Boxster S and S2000 before that my expectations were not high at all….. the ST was a quickish car to carry the wife and new baby around while waiting for the M3 vert to be delivered.

The only time I ridiculed somebody on a car forum was strangely close to your implied comment….. basically a guy on the Focus ST forum said that his modified ST kept pace with an Audi RS4 cabrio….. “dream on” said I not realising how quick a simple ECU remap can make the car. Before ordering the E93 M3 I tested plenty of decent cars and measured their performance, most of them would totally destroy the ST from a stop light but in gear between 30-70mph I am amazed at the bang for the buck offered by the humble Ford…… the following 30-70mph times were from the testing I did:

M5 3.5sec
M3 Coupe 3.9sec
Jag XKR 3.9sec
997 Carrera S manual 4.0sec
Audi R8 4.2sec (I didn’t have the test gear with me but this is the time recorded by Autocar mag)
Aston DB9 Volante 4.2sec
Audi RS5 4.3sec
Focus ST 4.3sec
Cayman S 4.4sec
997 Carrera S Tiptronic 4.5sec
Boxster S (987 3.2) 4.8sec
Audi RS4 Cab 4.9sec
S2000 5.6sec
Golf R32 DSG 5.8sec
Alfa Brera V6 7.2sec

Sorry to everyone for taking this slightly off topic but I felt the need to respond to an unwarranted attack.

Testing soon: Lambo LP670 SV and Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Appreciate 0