United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
also, Dr. K , to elaborate more on the sneezing issue, when i feel that itching in my nose just before i sneeze, this is when blood vessels release liquid? what triggers the actual sneeze?

yeah, i know the pressing the middle of your upper lip under the nose trick. it only works with lighter sneezes though.
Lol. You can just call me Michael or whatever.

vlad, you think like a doctor, because you want to know exactly what causes the sneeze to happen. i commend u for that. i always strive to know how something works. sometimes in medicine, we know certain treatments work, but don't know the exact mechanism--then we rely more on evidenced-based results.

i'm not an ENT doctor, though i believe we have an e90post member who is one, nor am i a neurologist, but i believe that there is some evidence that there is a neuro reflex mechanism responsible for inducing a sneeze. have you ever heard of someone who can induce a sneeze by staring into the direct sun (i'm not telling u to do this)? this is known as a photic sneeze theorized to be from overstimulation of the trigeminal nerve. i imagine there are sensory neurons in the nose that detect something is not normal, the signal gets sent to the central nervous system via afferent nerves, which stimulates the sneeze reflex.

when you touch something hot (not talking about your girlfriend, vlad), but say a piece of metal that you don't realize is hot, your hand will retract quicker than your brain can tell you what actually happened. That's an example of a reflex response.