View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #222
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great discussion here. Like many have already said the article may have a few details off but is more or less on track.

The following observation really drives it home for me. I certainly knew these models existed but never took the time to examine them all together in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidMal View Post
So we have M#, #M, M###i, X#M, M-performance and M-sport and you are really debating this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
It's easy to oversimplify the M conundrum, but brand equity is not an easy thing to manage as scale increases.
But before attacking BMW for their strategy, ask yourself this: what M car can BMW realistically produce today that would keep both the old guard and new guard happy while maintaining profitability? It's a much harder question to answer once you really think about it.
I too applaud your post. However, there is one light at the end of the tunnel. Reduction in weight, which appears to already be coming, will appeal to both the old guard and the new, the grocery getter commuter who likes to dash to 80 mph every now and again as well as the guys slugging it out at the track every month. Lower weight brings better handling and better straight line performance. Although I too am moaning about BMW M's move to FI for the next M3 or M4 or whatever the hell they'll be calling them, the weight reduction idea is right on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
IMO, there are only two European tuning houses that set the standard for anybody else to follow: M and AMG.
A bit OT but I think the language "tuning house" is utterly incorrect to describe either BMW M or Mercedes AMG.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0