View Single Post
      02-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
is the 5870 worth 33% more (400 compared to 300)?
That is going to totally depend on what you use it for. A lot of people here would never notice the difference between the two. The 5870 is a beast. I'm sitting at home with a single 4870 1GB and it plays all my games maxed out 1920x1080 (AoC probably being the most stressful; it's not quite Crysis but it's damned gpu intensive)....

Truth is there aren't really a whole lot of games out there that will bring out a noticeable difference between a 5850 and a 5870. I'm sure there will be in the coming months/years, but there aren't that many atm.

A few years ago, we were at a point where software was stretching hardware development to its max, and now we're somewhat flipped on that. We've got mainstream processors hyperthreading to 8 cores when your average Joe still probably couldn't tell much of a difference day-to-day with 2 cores vs 4, our mobos allow for some 24GB of RAM which I'm sure we'll need at some point in time, but that time doesn't seem to be fast approaching, etc... We're soon going to see computers fail due to age instead of being obsoleted by new gen games, but that's an assessment based on my own opinions.

The best I can suggest is overclock.net; these kinds of questions are answered there over and over, and plenty of people seem to have opinions and experiences they're more than willing to share if you can see through the nvidia/ATI and Intel/AMD fanboyism.
Appreciate 0