View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
For the love of pete, HP+ pads are not track pads. They have a very dangerous friction/temp curve. There was an article a couple years back on C&D of them crashing a 370Z because the pads failed seemingly spontaneously...this is exactly what I experienced (near crash) with them on my E46 after some idiot told me they were track pads. THEY ARE NOT...their MOT (max operating temp) is well under 1000F, and then they reach their MOT, they stop working without much warning, which makes them dangerous. At least the stock pads give you warning and have a similar MOT.

Ferodo 2500s have the issue of not working well when cold. If you are traveling at low speed and need to stop quickly, they will not respond as you expect them to. I used to run them on my F40 brembos as a street pad, and I nearly clipped a few people in the parking lot...

Brake pads are a safety device as well as a performance device. If you are fading your stock brakes, get a true track pad with a >1600F MOT and a good fluid.
HP+ is sold as a high performance street pad and a light track day pad for light weight or low hp vehicles. Hawk even disclosed in their sales material that the friction levels on this pad drops off quickly once the MOT is exceeded.

DS2500 when bedded in properly has a decent cold bite and no sudden lost of friction when the MOT is exceeded in our experience. It's a far better pad than the HP+. Even street pads will require a bedding in once in a while to keep them working at their best.
Appreciate 0