View Single Post
      07-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #636
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Our 1er is just too heavy to be fun, my M Coupe was about right for DD use, maybe a few hundred pounds too heavy for track use though.
The 1er M is fun alright... in essence due to its HUGE torque at the rear-wheels and the way it's used in favor of throttle adjustability of the chassis (sideways controllability) along with a quick steering (not the most informative though - another area where the Cayman excels ).

These characteristics can ONLY be enhanced, especially at lower speeds, by the use of the thinner tires (Did I say thinner tires?! Toyobaru anyone?!). In the following videos both 1M's are equipped with BMW's M270 winter wheels and 235/40 R18 tires in the four corners (Advevo's AW 1M also has 20mm spacers for the rear wheels while the VO 1M tested by Autocar does not):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Having owned a Miata, a CRX and extensively driven a friend's Exige, I can say that light is great, but there's also nearly always a lack of solidity that comes from that lightness. I think the Toyobaru is okay with it's current weight, it just needs more power.
The low weight should not be attained at the expense of torsional rigidity and yes, the Toyobaru's weight is quite fine. However, it's NOT so much a question of more power, it's more low to mid-range torque that is needed:

210 hp and 200 lb-ft/271 Nm of torque (with or without overboost function) extracted from a 1.6 D4-S Twin-scroll turbocharged boxer engine;

0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 6.5 s
Max. Speed: 245 km/h (152 mph)

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-13-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0