2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonS65 View Post
Hi guys,

Unfortunately my first post on here is going to be a bit of a rant. Not sure if it is in the right spot.

BACKGROUND

I'll start with the car - I looked for a very long time for the specific car I was looking for, a White E92 MINT condition needed to have DCT Comp pack and no miles (previous car was a 2012 CTS-V). After looking for about a year or so I finally found her. I live north of Boston and the car was at BMW of Roxbury NJ. I immediately called, drove down and purchased the car.

She was perfect. Not a mark on the car 2013 2,246 miles on the clock, Mineral White, I was in love. Drove her home about 4hrs, no complaints best car ever.

FAILURE

It wasn't till about two weeks later when I was getting fuel on my lunch break and proceeded to drive back to work. There was a bit of traffic so it was stop and go for about one mile until I would be back at the office. I was going about 20 MPH when it happened, it just shut off with no warning. Luckily I was able to pull off to the side of the road without being rear-ended, where I proceeded to try and start the car. It started first try, however it was only running on what had felt like 2 cylinders. I thought at the time it was probably something stupid like a sensor, I mean come on it has 3k miles right? I drove it 4 miles to my nearest BMW dealer which is BMW of Peabody where they gave me a loaner and took my car. About a week of calling them every day to see what was wrong I would only get the answer “we are waiting on BMW as to what to do next”. On Friday of that week I called and told them this is bs, your telling me you already diagnosed the car but don’t know what to do now for 5 days? Tell me what is wrong with my car. The service writer said fine, the engine has no compression in cylinder 4 and we aren’t sure if it is going to be warranty or not. I tried to get an exact answer as to what failed but it was no use, he kept telling me we are not taking the engine apart there is metal everywhere, we cannot determine the point of failure.

I was on fire, I said how would this even be considered to not be under warranty, it is a 2013 with 3,124 miles on it. After bickering with BMW NA customer care and the dealer the ordered me a new engine. The car is still currently at the shop and I’m really confused on what to do now. I love this car but this is such a turn off for the BMW brand.

DEPRESSION

I'm going to have a 2013 M3 with 3,124 miles that WAS mint and all original, that has been completely taken apart and has a new engine. I am worried that the carfax is going to be ruined and I am going to take a huge loss on a car I just spent ALL the money on because it was MINT and had no problems to worry about in the immediate future. I am also afraid of the engine failing out of warranty in another 3k miles.

What do you guys think I should do? Completely abandon the BMW brand all together and sell my car, or chance it and keep my mintish hacked up new engine 3k mile m3.

I apologize if I sound a bit bitchy, I really take care of my stuff and wanted this exact car for so long. It really hurts me having this all happen a month after buying it
Apart from the value of a numbers-matching car when it's old enough to be valuable as a collector's car, I fail to see how your car's value will be diminished by having a new engine installed by BMW.
Appreciate 3