03-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #78
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post

There really is little to compare. The D is a nice daily driver and has a few nice (but narrow) spots of acceleration, but it is no M, which is of course, the whole package.

Years ago, a friend and I had two similar E34s, his was a 93 M3 with the wonderful S38B38 and mine, a chipped 95 540i/6 Sport. I was probably within 10 or so HP of him, and with a 6-speed instead of a 5-speed, my 5 was pretty close to his for straight line acceleration, but....as many M guys here have rightly pointed out, and M car is the whole package, and that is NOT just a few parts here and there.

Like Moxie and HotRod, if I could, I'd have both an E90 M3 and the 335D to give the best of both worlds, that no one car could provide....well, that's if I didn't move to Germany and get an M550xd...

No matter what others may say about their own personal tastes or what's right for them, the fact is the M3 is the top of the game for the 3-series...as the French say, "pointe finale!"

Regards
D.
Off topic; but curious - are the diesel pumps as disgusting in Canada as they are in the US? First mod to the X5 was latex gloves in the trunk. : )
Appreciate 0