View Single Post
      07-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #40
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I could probably argue until the end of the day, but what I was hoping for is the outcome that if you're going for the 335"is" - a sports version of the 335i, the only reason not to upgrade to an M3 should be for financial limitations, otherwise only a fool would subscribe/pay the premium ofa 'sports' model of the 335i and not purchase the pinnacle of the sports of the 3 series line the M3. If a sporty car is your goal, of the two the M3 is winner.
'is' vs m3, I would agree. So close to M3 price that you might as well go with the M3. Unless you just prefer the mileage and it's 'sporty enough'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Also, I think you are over generalizing the M3 and 335i, to a naive person they may appear very similar, but they are very different, different interior, engines, transimission, bodys and so on. While the outcome or final numbers might be close, how they attain them are VERY different.
It's really not over generalizing.
It's all relative.

Compare the 335 and m3 to a civic, and they're both rockets, and they both look essentially the same.

Compare the 335 and m3 to a m600, and they're both sloths, and they [still] both look essentially the same.

Compare the 335 to the m3, and all of a sudden, the m3 is a rocket, and the 335 is a sloth (stock for stock), and you can pick out trim pieces to differentiate the looks.

The fact remains, no other car is more similar to an m3 than a 335, and no other car is more similar to a 335 than an m3.
By definition, you're talking trim packages of the same vehicle.
The only way to make them meaningfully different, is to limit yourself to comparing between only them.
As soon as other cars get involved, the differences shrink to details.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0