M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I think it's much more complicated than that. From another news source:

"Whereas a normal digital camera captures a snapshot of light hitting a sensor, a light field camera first separates rays of light in order to individually record their color, intensity and direction. This extra information opens up a world of possibilities, including the ability to focus on any depth of field within a taken photo, observe a 3D-type effect even without specs, and boost images taken in extremely low light."

Definitely cutting-edge and novel, imo.
Hmm. Still sounds like hocus-pocus to me. And if you can make any point in the image focused, why not have the whole thing in focus? A print will not be changeable. Anything posted on the web would, in theory, be changeable *if* they develop an HTML script to handle it. But again, why would you want to?

Some years ago I saw a super hi-res image of just a cityscape. Some Euro city, I forget which. But you could really zoom in very tight to any spot and see that spot in hi-res. The whole image was a large shot of the city, and I found one spot where you could zoom in on a window and see a roll of toilet paper sitting on the window sill quite clearly. That image was an amalgamation of many, many smaller hi-res images. But a camera that could take such an image in one shot and have each area of the image available for viewing at such hi-res would be a real breakthrough. Maybe this technology, is there's anything to it, would bring something like that about.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0