View Single Post
      05-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
Well the time is coming to let the beast go. I am driving 3k miles a month with 90% of those miles on the highway. I need a car that is much more comfortable for my 100 mile/day 30 day/month commute. I also need something that is quick and fun to drive. I am not interested in getting a "beater" as life is too short to drive beaters if one can afford not to. MPG isn't very important either. I don't need the space as I am by myself during the commute 99% of the time but most likely any comfy car I choose will be relatively spacious.

I am looking to spend $100k +- 20%. $100k would be nice so I can spend that extra $20k on mods.

The three main choices I have narrowed it down to are:

2014 F10 M5 LCI update which starts production in July.
DCT. RWD

2014 E63 AMG 4Matic which is supposed to come out in the summer.
Auto. AWD.

2011-2012 Panamera Turbo.
DCT. AWD.

I love my DCT and AMGs have aways looked good on paper until driving them with the boring automatic. However, I prefer AWD so it can be a year round beast and I can turn it into a high HP AWD no traction problem beast. The Panamera will hold its value better since I am buying preowned but then again any of these cars in 3 years will have 100k miles on them just from my driving.

I am familiar with Porsche's DCT PDK transmission as I had a C4S. It is very smooth but not as fun as the BMW DCT.

Being able to mod the car easily in terms of performance is very important to me as I would want at least 600whp preferably more.

The Panamera is a little big but has the DCT + AWD I prefer.

! If going the M5 or E63 route I would be most likely looking at a July build and September delivery. If going the Panamera route I am ready to go ASAP.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated
None of the above.

M5 is too powerful not to have AWD, and is too big to really make use of RWD dynamics.

E63 is not the nicest looking thing IMO

Panamera is nice, but then you are looking used so you might not get exactly what you want.

My vote goes to the Audi RS7. Killer car all the way around. Will also be rare and exclusive. Performance-wise, I think it will destroy everything in the class. It will be at top of your price range, but it will need no mods whatsoever.