04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

US Maps upon re-entry to USA

Gents,

Most of you may not have encountered this yet because you are still "expats," but I wanted to bring a problem that I am having to the forum. My vehicle shipped from Germany about two months ago and I just had it registered in CA. Now it is on the truck from CA to Washington D.C. and I have been calling to make appointments to have my German maps deleted and the US maps uploaded. The three dealerships that I have called are all quoting me around 300 dollars to have this done. 266 dollars for labor and then a fee for an "enabling code" which links the maps to the car.

Personally, I think that this is total BS. When I got the car in Germany, it was US spec so it already came loaded with US maps. The BMW AG guys installed the German maps free of charge, and said that BMW NA guys would do exactly the same upon re-entry. I realize now that I was stupid for believing in that, but am I off the mark for thinking that it is ridiculous that BMW is going to make me pay for these maps? I have seen exactly how the maps are uploaded, and it is probably one of the most simple services that BMW can perform. All they have to do is link the CIC to the computer and let it upload the software.

My biggest issue with this is that, in my mind, I am being forced to pay for the same service twice. I already paid for navigation the first time (which came with US maps), and now I am having to pay for the US maps the second time.

I have already taken this up with BMW NA, and they basically told me to go to hell and that it is a "customer pay" situation. I'm not rolling over that easy though...

My questions are: 1) has anybody else dealt with this and 2) am I being a baby and should I just shut-up and pay?

Thanks!