04-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #56
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Success!

Thanks for all your help, W///. I got her all sewed back up earlier this evening. I fired her up and low and behold all systems go and limp mode gone. Codes still need to be cleared (CEL still on), but otherwise no issues.

I'd love to know what's up with these failing though. The old servo seems fine. I wonder if the sensor is just too sensitive. I mean what's so bad if the throttle linkage has a tiny bit more play than it did originally? I guess since its drive by wire with no backup they have it dialed in with very low tolerance to be safe. I did notice that the original part had "Siemens" stamped on it while the replacement doesn't. I wonder if they switched suppliers. Anyway, I am keeping the old one in case there's a fix later or a recall. It seems a shame to toss what is probably a 99% good part.
Great to hear! Nice to see someone else try the DIY. Wasn't too bad right? Especially considering how much the stealership was going to charge you.

We can only hope for a recall but I wouldn't count on it. The E60 M5 guys have been having this problem for a while (longer than us anyway) and still no news. But maybe someone in the aftermarket scene will be able to refurbish these, so definitely not a bad idea to hold on to them. I actually took mine apart to look inside and just never put it back together.

P.S. Glad to hear limp mode fixes itself. That's big plus for people that need their car back quick.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0